Wednesday, August 15, 2012

DB bomb tractor in color

 
Here's an update on the David Brown RAF ww2 bomb tractor (whew, that's a mouthful). Almost finished, just needs a few touch ups on the driver's face, some hilites on the steering wheel and a lens for the headlight.
An epic d'oh moment

after I glued on the front tires, I found out there wasn't enough clearance from the front fender for the wheels to turn. All that time scratch building the steering mechanism wasted, arrgghhh.
 
I airbrushed on Tamiya acrylics as a base coat and some shading. Followed by brush painting the details with Vallejo colors. The RAF insignia is a white circular dry transfer with the rings painted on.
Weathering was done with Vallejo acrylics starting out with rain streaks, followed by drybrushing on a faded blue color. Paint chipping was done with a small sponge, then rust streaks brushed on.
Dust and mud effects were done with pigments fixed in place with Tamiya thinner for acrylics. 
Truth be told, I feel I've over done the weathering a wee bit. It's been a while since I painted a vehicle, and I'm really still experimenting with weathering techniques.

A few more details added with stretched sprue prior to painting.

No comments: