A few weeks ago, I embarked on my biggest diorama project to date. Here's a first preview at some of the progress I've made. It involves the old hasbro AT-AT toy about to smash the Finemolds 1/48 snowspeeder to smithereens! Trying out some new (to me) techniques for painting the snowspeeder. I used some silicon wax to simulate paint chipping on the dark gray color markings instead of the kit supplied decals. Also experimented with wet on wet acrylic wash and drybrushing with more acrylic paint mixed with some retarder. Next step: add some broken "glass".
The base is about A2 in size and is made from plywood drawing board, basswood sides, styrofoam terrain filling covered with fiberglass plastering mesh and topped with a generous dose of sculptamold. The dark bits are plaster cast rocks and the 3 woodblocks are there to support the AT-AT later on. Painted with acrylics and awaiting a final layer of snow. I'm trying to get some microballoons or 3M glass bubbles. We'll see how it goes.ing board, basswood sides, styrofoam terrain filling covered with fiberglass plastering mesh and topped with a generous dose of sculptamold.